Thursday, November 22, 2012

First Impressions

Christmas lights at Shinjuku Station.
Christmas is coming in Japan!

This afternoon we had the ELCA J3 missionaries over for a Thanksgiving meal.  We feasted on tacos and good company.  Erik and I love to host people, so we were grateful for the opportunity to feed people as well as entertain our first guests.  On Saturday we will be joining Tokyo Lutheran for a Thanksgiving Feast.  One of the members made a special trip out to Costco to purchase a turkey!  I am going to attempt to bake my first cake in my Japanese oven for the occasion.

After our feast, I went down to Shinjuku station to do some Christmas shopping.  Christmas is in the air.  The Japanese have developed a love for Christmas.  The windows of the department stores are decorated and the stores are playing Christmas music.  It looks like Christmas in the US, but after our weekend at English Bible Camp in Chiba, I am seeing Christmas a little differently.

English Bible Camp is open for anyone wanting to learn English, get out of town and meet new friends.  Those attending camp aren't necessarily Christian.  English language is taught by reading the Bible and talking with native English speakers.

On the way home from camp we started talking about Christmas.  A young woman told us that they learn how to celebrate Christmas from the Americans that come to Japan.  I asked her if she knew why we celebrated Christmas and if she knew the Christmas story.  She did not.  I then proceeded to tell her the story of how a young girl carried God's son, gave birth to him in a strange town and placed him in a lowly manger.  I was so nervous to tell her this story.  I was going to be the first one to ever tell her how God came into the world.  I had never told this story to "fresh" ears.  I was also nervous that she wouldn't understand my English.  It's hard to put into words how it feels to be in a position where you are sharing the gospel with people for a first time. I have shared God's story with people who have heard it, but pushed it away or forgotten.  It's a exciting, humbling and moving experience.  Reflecting on it brings out an emotion that moves me to tears.  


My experience on the bus ride home made me look at Christmas shopping very differently.  In Japan it is all Santa and Snowmen.  I found myself searching hard for signs of the Christ child.  The one Christmas card I saw with a picture of a church, had Santa pulled up in front with a giraffe and elephant.  I wonder how many Japanese know that we put the star on top of the tree because of the star the shepherds and wise men followed.  I wonder if they know why it's called "Christ"mas.  I wonder if they know why we gave presents.

I look forward to celebrating this Christmas with both the Christians and non-Christians.  Because even if we don't always remember why we celebrate, I know God's love will be with us as we exchange presents and feast on KFC.

Blessings,
Tauna        
Christmas light display on Mosaic Street at Shinjuku Station.

No comments:

Post a Comment