Friday, September 2, 2016

The MamaChari

Our "new" bicycle: a mamachari.

I am the proud new owner of a gentle used MamaChari.  Last spring my friend was selling her bike because her family was moving back to Europe.  I jumped when she asked if anyone would buy it.

I've put off getting a bicycle for a long time. They come with the same responsibility as owning a car. A bike must be registered with the city.  It also must have insurance.  If you hurt someone while riding, you can be sued for lots of money.  It also has to have a place to park.  And then of course you have to know where you can park it when you are out and about, and the rules of the road.

We've been car free for the last four years, so I've enjoyed the freedom of just going without worrying about these things.  I've put off getting a bike because I was pregnant, Nozomi was so little, and they can be super expensive.  (A new Mamachari can cost you between $1,000-2,000USD).

My friend was gracious and left the bike at the church over summer for us.  We secured a parking spot at our apartment complex.  It cost us $30 (3,000yen) a year to park our bike.  Today we took it to the bike shop to register it.  Paperwork in Japan makes me nervous.  I never know how well I will be able to communicate.  Erik went with me because he speaks better Japanese.  Thankfully the employee at the bike shop spoke English and knew exactly what I wanted when I showed him my papers.

It cost $5 (500 yen)  to register the bike.  After he gave the bike a "check-up", I was able to buy insurance for $20 (2,000 yen)/year.  I am now covered for parking and insurance for the next year. He even showed me how to adjust the seat.

I was then set for my first bike ride home.  The Mamachari is heavier than bikes I've had in the past. I've ridden while pulling kids in a chariot, but this is very different.  My bike has a seat on the front and back, so that I can ride with two children or carry groceries.  The most impressive thing about the bike is that it has a battery to assist with pedaling.  Honestly this scared me the first time I turned it on.  (Ahhh!  The bike is moving on it's own!!!!)  I practiced riding around a while and it felt good to be back on a bike.  It was amazing the first time I used the battery assist to go up hill.  It took no effort to climb up the giant hill by our house.

My husband is super concerned about me riding it, so I'm going to practice more before I take Nozomi on any rides.  I've also already heard comments that I shouldn't ride a bike with my pregnant belly.  I take this like all other pregnancy advice: the rules vary with the culture, just be smart, safe and listen to your body.

So now, for a little while, I fit in with all the other mamas pedaling around Tokyo.


Nozomi demonstrates how many people can fit on a bike in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment