Friday, December 18, 2015

Why I Love Christmas in Japan

 Nozomi is still napping and there is a little lull before our festive holiday activities continue.  I image there was a moment similar for the Holy Family.  Jesus sleeping peacefully at his mother's breast.  Joseph exhausted napping in the hay.  Mary just sitting back reflecting lovingly at her family, amazed by all things, never expecting that a bunch of shepherds are on their way to greet her son and things are about to get crazy.

This will be our fourth Christmas in Japan.  For a country that lacks Christianity, they sure love to celebrate Christmas.  I don't think most Japanese know why they are celebrating, but there is something marvelous in the way they've embraced our western Christmas traditions and put their own spin on it. How many other places how you seen a Christmas card with Santa and Baby Jesus?  Jesus has a way of sneaking into Christmas.  O' Little Town of Bethlehem plays in a department store. Stars top Christmas trees.  He's there if you are willing to look.

I love about Christmas aboard.  It's easier to focus on why we are celebrating.  It's been four years since I've been bombarded by Holiday commercials. We never have to make decisions about whose family to visit on Christmas.  And we can always blame the postal service when presents don't arrive on time. We can celebrate Christmas in our own way.

I'm so excited for this upcoming week.  Tomorrow we have the congregational worship and Christmas party.  Japanese parties tend to feel boring, but I love the Christmas party because everyone is in a festive mood.  I also get to dress Nozomi up in a pretty Christmas dress and show her off.  One of my first memories of coming to Japan was attending the Christmas party, so it holds a fond place in my heart.

And I'm excited for Christmas Eve.  I talked several friends into wearing Kimono, traditional Japanese dress reserved for holidays and special events.  It's not common to wear it Christmas.  In fact, I've never seen anyone wear Kimono to our church.  But I really wanted to, so now a group of us is getting all dressed up.

My favorite thing Christmas Eve is walking home from church.  All the convenience stores have made their employees dress as Santa and sell Christmas cakes on the street.  We greet each one with a cheerful Merry Christmas.  Our little family makes our way home to our quiet apartment, exhausted and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment